On February 14, prisoners in the Correctional Training Facility in Soledad released two videos of staged gladiator fights between prisoners. “Incremental releases” deliberately schedule recreation time with groups who cannot peacefully program together. Guards will “set up” a fight, then fire at prisoners with tear gas and lock down the yard. This is a pattern confirmed by sources in CTF-Soledad, CSP-Corcoran, and Pleasant Valley State Prison. Used to terrorize prisoners and undermine solidarity, these gladiator fights have been documented since the 1990s, when the FBI investigated guards in CSP-Corcoran who fatally shot prisoners forced to fight in the yard.
We have received reports that the administration at CTF Soledad is planning more gladiator fights for this coming Monday, March 4. This time the “incremental releases” are set to happen in the gym where they can’t be filmed. We need to put pressure on Warden Koenig and CDCr administration in Sacramento to end this brutal practice. Please make the time Sunday and Monday to flood the phone lines and inboxes at CTF and CDCr.
Soledad protest rally 3/2 and 3/3 - https://www.facebook.com/
"Hello, I’m calling for _________. Recently the media reported that prisoners at CTF Soledad are being subject to “incremental releases” in which hostile groups are released onto the yard together, leading to violence. Now I understand that there are more “incremental releases” planned for Monday, but this time set in the gym where the abuse cannot be filmed. I am calling to demand that CTF Soledad and CDCr stop this practice immediately. Mixing groups you know cannot program together to “see if they get along” is a strategy for increasing violence and creating chaos within California prisons. Thank you."
CONTACT LIST in order:
- CTF Soledad Warden, Craig Koenig (831) 678-5951, email@example.com
- Division of Adult Institutions, Undersecretary Kathleen Allison - (916) 445-7688, or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Division of Adult Institutions, Director Connie Gipson, (916) 445-7688, or email@example.com
- CDCr Secretary Ralph Diaz - (916) 324-7308 [main CDCr line; ask to leave message for Sec. Diaz], or Ralph.Diaz@cdcr.ca.gov
- CTF Captain Chris Freeman, Chris.Freeman@cdcr.ca.gov
The main number at CTF Soledad is (831) 678-3951
- You aren't obligated to give your name if you don't wish.
- Don't worry about staff you the runaround or denying that anything is happening
- Some CDCr offices don’t have voicemail during off hours.
- Please reportback in comments right here!
Add new comment