Conditions at FCI Jesup and Punitive Lockdown amid COVID-19 outbreak and intentional negligence.
We heard that the phone calls contributed to time out of cells for loved ones at Jesup, but our comrades have a new set of demands. Please see the demands and phone zap below. We are looking for legal support and press around this as well!
- We want an end to this cruel and inhumane lockdown that has been set in place, in various forms, since April
- Echo unit is not a quarantine! It is a violation of BOP policy and our basic human rights to expose healthy people to a deadly virus. They have positive cases and negative cases LIVING TOGETHER in the same cells, let alone on the same block. All COVID cases must be quarantined in the designated unit, Fox Bravo.
- Moreover, everybody who's sick needs to be given adequate and life saving (if necessary) health care commensurate with established public health protocols and human decency.
- Release ALL elderly and high-risk people! If the United States is the beacon of human rights that it proclaims to be, then it could do the same thing that Iran did, if not out-do them. Warden Linda Geter has a moral responsibility to direct her staff to recommend to the AG that all such people be given compassionate release.
- We want extra good time credit and financial compensation for the physical and psychological duress that has been incurred upon us from April 1 until now.
- We want to be fed adequate meals and have access to commissary in order to purchase additional food. Right now we are being fed child size portions, which amounts to starvation.
Zap Info: FCI Jesup @ (912) 427-0870 (please remember to block your number with *67, that you do not have to give your name or inmate name, and use your own words. this script is a suggestion. You can report back to this email or here)
Script: "I'm calling with grave concern about the current conditions at FCI Jesup. I am aware that there is a serious outbreak of Covid-19, which has been used as the rationale for an expansion of the cruel and unusual punitive lockdown that has been in place since April 1st. But that does not mean the rights of incarcerated human beings do not matter.
In solidarity with our friends inside we demand the lockdown be ended immediately. We demand that all infected people be taken to the quarantine unit, Fox Bravo, and be given adequate health care. We demand the release of ALL elderly and at risk people. We believe following orders ceases to be an excuse in times like these and Warden Linda Geter has a moral responsibility to direct her staff to recommend to the AG that all such people be given compassionate release. Blood will be on her hands and the hands of all the staff, in the horrible but probable event of someone's death. Furthermore, we demand that all people incarcerated there be given extra good time credit and financial compensation for the physical and psychological duress that has been incurred because of this punitive lockdown. Finally we demand that all incarcerated people be fed adequate meals and have access to commissary in order to purchase additional food. Right now they are being fed child size portions, which amounts to starvation.
The actions of prison staff are unacceptable and it is important to remember that NO ONE, gave you the authority to sentence anyone to death."